On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 9:35 AM Scott Kitterman <ietf-d...@kitterman.com>
wrote:

> Currently RFC 6376 says, "Signatures MAY be considered invalid".  I think
> the practical effect as described in protocol terms would be to change the
> MAY to SHOULD under X conditions and SHOULD NOT under !X conditions.  Not
> that I'd expect to see this appear in a protocol document (maybe some kind
> of applicability statement).

Beyond this SHOULD, I think we need to consider whether the caller needs to
be told specifically when a failure occurs for this reason.  Right now an
implementation might return just a PERMFAIL without noting that it's
because of "x=" versus the signature failing for some other reason.  Should
the caller be given this extra detail to enhance the decision tree, or will
this just complicate things?

I think, for instance, libopendkim does identify the reason for the
failure, but I'm not sure whether any consumers of that API make use of
that detail beyond maybe logging it.

-MSK