I actually think this is a good approach and works well within the charter that
we have for the group.

Put together a background document - that evolves from the problem statement
including all the pieces that you mentioned

* problem description
* why this wasn’t solved initially
* real world scenarios where this happens and some of the consequences of it
backed by actual data
* what has been tried and hasn’t worked (with some discussion of why it didn’t
work)
* what we considered and rejected

In fact, I think that’s one of the legitimate outcomes of the group from the
re-charter (https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dkim/about/):

"If the working group decides that is unable to identify a consensus technical
solution to this problem space, it may instead publish a report describing the
problem and summarizing the reasons that none of the proposed approaches are
acceptable.”

laura (as participant)

The Delivery Expert

Laura Atkins