>> In retrospect, it probably would have been better only to provide
>> simple and tell people more firmly to do the signing after and the
>> checking before any local modification.
>
> That implies hop to hop rather than end to end.  What would the
> advantage over SPF be then?

The fact that most hops don't break even simple signatures.  We went
through all this in 2006 (RFC 4686) and I don't see any reason to revisit
it now.

>> Perhaps Murray has data that says whether relaxed verifies much more
>> often than simple does.
>
> Yes, http://www.opendkim.org/stats/report.html#hdr_canon says
>
> Header canonicalization use:
> canonicalization      count   domains passed
> simple                  653688        6786    591938
> relaxed                 3940377       56621   3640854
>
> Although they only differ by 2% (90% simple vs 92% relaxed), such
> percentages would be superb for tools like Spamassassin.  I'd expect
> at least 99% from a cryptographic tool.

This tells me that the benefit from relaxed is at most pretty small.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",