On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> I didn't say that. I said that IETF meeting hotel prices have
> risen more than 20% above inflation. I have no idea if average
> hotel prices for setups like ours have done that, or if the
> IETF attendees are really getting a bad deal. I think the
> latter though to be honest. Have you evidence that I'm right
> or wrong?

I'll let the people who crunch the numbers answer that one.

> > and that isn't limited to the venues under consideration by the
> > IETF. NANOG and APRICOT hotel rates have gone up as have other
> > meeting hotel rates,
>
> Do you/the iaoc have solid information on that or just anecdotes? Do
> the iaoc communicate with other conference organisers to get such
> information? Have those other rates gone up more or less than IETF
> HQ rates?

Well, *I* attend all of those events and *I* have experienced
significant increases in hotel rates over the last decade. You can
call that an anecdote I suppose. Based on my experience, the increases
are across the board.

> Fine. But not very relevant. Hotel prices in, for example,
> Ireland, have fallen thanks to our local financial incompetence.
> I don't know the trends in hotel prices where we meet, but would
> hope that the iaoc does. Do you?

Again, I don't have comprehensive data, but will note (again) that we
are severely limited by venue availability for an event our size,
based on the "one-roof" desire, and (often) inclusion of meeting
rooms.

> > I think the only way to get HQ hotel rates down
>
> Have the iaoc actually tried to achieve this specific goal?
> Personally, I don't believe you've been doing that, but I
> could be wrong.

It's been said already that there is a tradeoff between "big city"
venues (that have meeting space) and remote resorts like CityWest: in
both cases the HQ hotel is often expensive, but the community clearly
wants us to go places where they have alternatives. Hotel rates are
certainly high on our list of factors when choosing a venue, but it
isn't the only factor.

> Go for it and we'll see. Maybe it'll be crap (but to be honest
> how much can it differ from Disney;-) but its worth trying so
> long as the meeting facilities work for the meeting.

We can certainly look into it.