Well i am grateful to everyone for taking this post seriously. I didnt
suspect Linux either and I  intend to believe it was a faulty SMPS. But
after the incident I am afraid to  use the sleep mode. The reason I am
taking this seriously is that recently a week ago I decided to give the
'Turn off Monitor' a try in KDE. The description says that selecting the
option will completely power off the electron gun after the specified idle
time and thus bringing power consumption to a minimum. I specified the time
as 2 MINS and my monitor did just that. Of course I had to turn on the
monitor two or three times in an hour to check the status of the PC ( I use
my pc to download files and play music- we dont need to keep on the monitor
all the time do we?).I was completely satisfied with the result, but on the
next day my monitor refused to switch on, the technician said that some
parts may have failed due to voltage fluctuations or power anomalies. This
doesnt seem like coincidence does it?
Maybe the frequent on and off cycles  had damaged the monitor? I advocate
Linux to everyone I talk to so I better be aware of the problem.