On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:22 PM, bipin kumar <bipin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seriously you dont know what you are posting do you?
>
> do a google search and learn about enterprise wide IT deployment
> process. better some people in this group might be able to spoon feed
> it to you in a way you understand
>
> the word organization here refers to the govt and not fsug or ilug-tvm
> or al-qaeda for that matter.

I had no idea that you are meaning Govt brother, true :(
since I had stressed upon about fsug priorities, i thought its fsug. and pls
gimme a clause in it which was not also applicable to fsug!

> they have their needs and might have consulted with peoples, and i
> hope some of them might be from the  community as well thats all the
> fsug has to do with that decision and since its the govt decision
> maybe you can file an RTI to know about actual variables they took in
> to their decision making process and then come back here and discuss
> the merits and demerits of the aforesaid solution, rather than
> shooting in the dark

When i am shooting into ilug tvm, i dont think its shooting into dark. there
could be some men interestd.

> there is something you have to get into thick skull, the hardware/
> software procured by the government is supposed to do only one thing
> which is to run the governance related applications(accounting,
> inventory etc) and not any other frivolous stuff. the employees will
> be trained to run those apps at the taxpayer's(which btw includes you
> as well) expense.

yup. now i would put defense reserach, and research laboratories.Holy cows.I
have seen MACs in IISC. we read about the budget in news papers.(am
supportng ur view)

> further you claim that business model of linux based companies is
> based on a flawed premise that, Linux is user-unfriendly and hence
> there is requirement of customer support which they are milking for
> their commercial purpose.

yeah. so any proposal on how to tackle with this situation? make Linux
customer support under Govt? make FOSS ultimatum under govt support in a
very transparent way ?

> by the same logic the other OS supposedly
> user friendly options are then literally ripping off the customers.
> first you have to pay exorbitant amounts as licensing, deploy
> expensive hardware and pay substantial amounts of money as maintenance
> and support fees annually
>
> i will give you an example, assuming the hardware cost being
> same(maybe Rs. 00 for arguments sake) the cost of deploying SLED (this
> includes OS, basic set of office applications and other productivity
> tools, security framework etc) was around 7500 Rs per pc per year
> excluding hardware, now if you are to deploy MS Vista/win7
> enterprise(under MS EULA one cannot install any other version of
> winOSs in commercial platform i.e anything above 25 pcs) you will have
> to pay around the same amount for the OS alone, add to that price for
> a enterprise wide security solution(same as earlier no retail version
> allowed in commercial platforms) along with other required softwares.
> now to use OSX you have to buy an relatively expensive hardware
> platform just to have access to it. further if MS/apple decide to
> cease support for a particular os version you will have shell out
> additional amounts in terms of upgrading the hardware alone or else
> you will be stuck with outdated and EOL solution. further the apps you
> deployed on them might not be compatible to the newer os platform.
> this is one the main reasons many organization are not upgrading from
> win xp to vista/win7 despite MS pleas/ads. It is educating for you to
> read about IE6 debacle that many organization face now.

Sure, admirable wealth of data. this would certainly help.

> now leave aside your personal tastes, idiosyncrasies and use the
> commonsense  and tell us which is better investment of taxpayer’s
> money aka your money

Thanks for the statement.  This would have given earlier, but now it came
with a wealth of statistics.

> what i do with my hardware/software is my concern alone, whether i
> play fps, rts or watch porn because i have paid for it with my hard
> earned money. the govt/people's money is put into ICT for doing the
> sole task of governance and nothing else as stated earlier. you want
> to be creative buy your stuff, don't do it on common man's expense.

Again, the holy cow is ignored. Resaerch eats national income in chunks. No
complaints, would like to hear ther is a lot of FOSS adopted in it.

> one point to add there is already a working linux based solution
> deployed in public educational system called the i...@school GNU/Linux
> if you haven't heard of. it is basically a customized debian distro as
> far as i can gather from my tinkering with it. and it is working fine
> till date with help of community support i might add. there is enough
> opportunity for students to explore their creativity etc in that
> platform.

The student thingy described above was the after-schooling problem. They do
have more than  enough to explore, and the freedom to take it to any height.
good. They remain in FOSS or migrate to some other platform?
http://www.freelists.org/archive/schoolgnu/04-2010 is the community i think.
i has 4 posts for the last month, only one technical issue. either its not
working, or its near perfect.

Akshaya system is another, which practically still runs mostly on
proprietory system.

the only drawback i see are the luck of sufficient amount of
> hardware to ensure optimal access for students, lack of content  in
> local languages which i should say is being addressed.
>
> now to the last part. if someone is providing free good lunch for you,
> fine go and have it by all means. If you don’t like it you have the
> option of not going again, there is no compulsion. you cant be prickly
> about the amount of salt in the sambar etc

game over for me :(  jaaabba! some MOAB fell on my head!

> bipin

danku! that was constructive.

> [...]

> > any sake.
> >
> > Fact: IF a FLOSS company with buisiness ethics propose that 'they rectify
> > the problems of ITC sector of Govt of Kerala' based on FLOSS, they can
> win
> > it without even 1% of the money M$ spent on Malyasian bureaucracy*. (*as
> > read on internet).
> >

> > > earlier you were crying foul about lack of support in linux. if you
> > > want good customer support just pay for it or else be content with the
> > > community support with distros which i should say is doing a fine job
> > > under the circumstances
> >
> > > Remember "there is nothing as free lunch".
> >
> > If the hotel owner thinks ditributing food for free cures his only
> daughters
> > disease, the 'customer'  gets free lunch. Isolate the customer from the
> > Hotel owner in discussing this system. The customer gets lunch absolutely
> > free. When there are a lot of such hotel owners in the society, and they
> > declare lunch is available for free(or is known), the customer gets lunch
> > free 365 & 1/4.
> >
> > The kerala farmer survey on why individuals TUX, may be put to scrutiny
> > get an answer.
> > I am not comparing the ideology behind FLOSS to the above stupid reason.
> Its
> > an easy grab and a comparitively simple system. We have a reason,
> Humanity.
> > And the tendency to fight againsit what is percieved as anti human.
> >
> > Forgive me, there is lot of noise, either you can deal with core issues
> or
> > pour some aviation turbine fluid into the noise.

> have

> > > boot
> and
> people,
> > > and
> in
> in
> current
> > > gives
> > > frame

> > > educational
> user
> > > be
> > > warning,
> not
> > > have
> main

> (5)

> priority?
> its
> > > MailingList
> > > RedHat,
> 5)
> downs(read
> owing
> > > providers
> in
> this
> > > would

> > read more »

> For details visit the google group page: