I am facing a slightly different problem with mine now.
When I plug in the card it first glows red and then green but it is
not seen in the network manager.
So I go and edit the connection and pull up the mobile broadband
connections tab where the configuration I had created still resides.
I go ahead and reconfigure the APN and press apply - now network
manager realises that the modem is connected and displays it in the
list of available options.
But if I try to select the connection it keeps throwing up the
notification - "GSM network is disconnected" and refuses to use the
usb modem.