On 10/09/14 17:38, Karthikeyan A K wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Vikas Tara <v...@hamaralinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi ilugc,
>>
>> I am planning a trip down to Chennai to talk to people about hamara
>> linux and
>> the hamara project generally.
>>
>> Hamara Linux is a new distribution tailored to the Indian market from
>> the perspective of language, design, usability and access.
>>
>> We are promoting design that users feel accustomed to, a way to reach a
>> larger audience and also stem cultural hegemony. We target intel as well
>> as ARM, to make access to the platform easier/cheaper. Native language
>> support - you will be able to find us using a search engine without
>> knowing how to read English.
>>
>> I will be in Chennai on Monday 22nd September and would really welcome
>> the opportunity to meet with like minded open source / linux enthusiasts.
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> Vikas Tara
>>
>> --
>> Founder - Hamara Linux
>> www.hamaralinux.org
>> www.twitter.com/hamaralinux

> That's great, but won't it be another fragmentation? For example Boss linux
> is practically used no where in India. It was funded by the Indian
> government, but did not get traction. But ofcourse gobverment is highly
> beuracratic and no real technicial would like to work under it.
>
> Why not develop packages for popular distros that will add our languages in
> user friendly manner, or urge people to participate in translation
> projects? Or tell people to improve linuxes power efficiency as India is
> really deficit in electricity.
>
> The best think would be a distro that lets us configure what ever we want,
> I think http://www.gnewsense.org/ did it, but I don't know its status now.
>
> But any way as the OS is getting stabilized, the only battle that's being
> fought in linux-for-normal-people world is the UI battle and Ubuntu is
> winning it all the time. If one says android, I would like to install
> Ubuntu touch on their tablet/phone. But I feel this will be a great student
> project to learn this OS. Your college will be proud of you.
This is why we want to come and talk to people.

If the existing distros do not cover the needs of ordinary people, then
this is not fragmentation.

For example, if your not literate in english, you have very little hope
of ever finding linux and to a certain
extent, you might be scared off from using a computer altogether.

Also, another example, we are working furiosly towards an arm build
running to run on the cubie board which brings low cost, low power
hardware with the possibility of running 100% solar - and all
technologies that can be accessed by the man on the street.

We looked very closely and gnewsense and trisquel, both very valuable
projects, they helped us to craft a good base for building the distro - and
I think if you ask them - that's what they intended.

I hope you checked out the screenshots at www.hamaralinux.org for an
example of UI.

btw - I am bit old for college, I graduated in 1994, my first linux was
redhat 6.2 ;)