> As ghane said, use ntpd or xntpd - whatever is available on your
> distribution.
>
> Also, just asking, ... is your machine an old one? In  which the CMOS battery
> needs replacement? :)

Absolutely right. But you may be able to get away without CMOS battery
replacement if you are actually able to keep your machine up for days at
a time, as your original post described. In that case, CMOS battery does
not matter... NTP will keep your date steady. And we've found ntpd very
easy to configure... very little config info needed. You just need to
find appropriate NTP servers which work for you, that's all. I guess
junta on this list can help there.

Shuvam