Yes,
        I know lot of people do the same. This has been a convention in
Sendmail world for long.
However :
A) how does it help prevent spam (I can very well send you mail faking
[EMAIL PROTECTED])? In fact, most spammers not just uses a legitimate
domain name, they even exploit the open proxies to fake as if the mail is
coming from that domain. To me it looks like a needless overhead for your
smtp server.
B) why do you check for "A" records? Why is just checking for "MX" records
not enough? (if we expect that somehow "legitimizes" the user.

Does not look like a way to me avoid any significant spam. Just creating
more DNS queries.

With Warm Regards
Tarun Upadhyay

Induslogic Inc.