> A) how does it help prevent spam (I can very well send you mail faking
> [EMAIL PROTECTED])? In fact, most spammers not just uses a legitimate
> domain name, they even exploit the open proxies to fake as if the mail is
> coming from that domain. To me it looks like a needless overhead for your
> smtp server.

You are right; it won't block all spam with just this simple check.
(Ghane lives in Singapore, where spams are blocked by themselves,
simply because the Singapore government has made them illegal; they just
wither away and die for lack of nourishment. This is not applicable to
you or me.) However, it does block a part of the spam. There are now
more involved checks being done by receiving MTAs, like sender address
"callback", which are more effective.

> B) why do you check for "A" records? Why is just checking for "MX" records
> not enough? (if we expect that somehow "legitimizes" the user.

Because the SMTP standard says that it's okay for a domain to just have
A records and not MX records, if it wants to receive email. Therefore,
all SMTP MTAs have to check "A" records too.

Shuvam