Hi,

  I tried out the two questions posed on ping and
whois. I got some suspiciously funny results which I
would like to share with you people. Could anyone
please enlighten me further ....

 $ whois inria.fr

 Result: [translated from french by a helpful friend]
 Dude, You seem to be from India. INRIA is in France.
Unless you have achieved geekdom, INRIA wouldn't take
you as a researcher. Moreover, we don't speak english
so how the hell are going to manage here?? Please
don't waste your time in asking who is INRIA. Call +33
1 39 63 55 11 if you want to know more!
[in plain words, lay off!]

 $ whois case.edu.pk

 Result: You seem to be from India. CASE is in
_Pakistan_. Don't you know we don't admit Indian
students here! Please......
[in plain words, lay off!]

 $ whois yahoo.com

 Result: YET ANOTHER HIERARCHICAL OFFICIOUS ORACLE
 sung: yah-hooooooooo [wanna know more ?!]

 What the hell is goin on? Is my computer nuts or are
these standard replies?? Please help me, O
knowledgeable LUGians.

 After the whois session, i tried ping. You guys won't
believe what strange results I got! All I got was a
string of pongs! Like this...

 $ ping www.case.edu.pk
 Result: pong....

 $ ping www.case.edu.pk
 Result: pong pong....

 $ ping www.case.edu.pk
 Result: pong pong pong....

 $ ping www.case.edu.pk
 Result: pong pong pong pong....

 $ ping www.case.edu.pk
 Result: pong pong pong pong....

 $ ping www.case.edu.pk
 Result: AREN'T YOU TIRED PLAYING PING PONG....

 Someone please tell me whether this is the antic of
some unknown ICMP virus or something supernatural....

 Regards,
 Bhaskar.

 --- Spoonman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:58:45AM +0530, Sandip
> Bhattacharya wrote:
> Sandip>Arshad H. Siddiqui wrote:
> Sandip>
> Sandip>>Q1. The whois utility translates between
> domain names and organizations.
> Sandip>>Read the man page of whois and experiment
> it. Try whois inria.fr, whois
> Sandip>>case.edu.pk, whois yahoo.com and give your
> results.
> Sandip>>
> Sandip>>Q2. The ping utility can be used to measure
> the round trip time between
> Sandip>>Internet hosts. Read the man page for
> details on the options used to
> Sandip>>control ping. What the -s option is for? Try
> ping www.case.edu.pk -s,
> Sandip>>ping www.geocities.com and give summary of
> results in each case.
>
>       Looks coming straight out of a Assignement. dude,
> the answers
>       are stated right inside the questions.
>
>       Do what the question says RTFM. More polietly,
> Please Read the
>       Fine Man page.
>
>       If you have acces to a linux box just open a
> console/term window  and
>       type
>
>       man  whois
>       man ping

=====
Bhaskar Dutta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     GPG  = AA56 1EB5 D7E8 DD9C 298E  8F4D 375F D416 01D5 671C