Hi,

 I finally got to know the reason for the mysterious
occurrences regarding whois and ping. LL please give
your valuable suggestions on this.

 There seems to be a rogue worm in the wild, aptly
named [EMAIL PROTECTED] worm. Seems
to infect TCP port 43 (thus affecting whois) and
manipulate the server's NVT ASCII replies. The worm
also injects malicious text into the ICMP packets
resulting in the strange ping replies. The worm is
Artificially Intelligent (mind you!) and seems to be
able to do amazing things not discovered yet ... LL
has already encountered one ... what about the others?

 You guys won't believe what happened when I tried to
ping case.edu.pk again some time back. The transcript
is shown below verbatim :
----------
 $ ping www.case.edu.pk
 Dude, what's your problem? Are you some kind of jerk?
Or plain stupid?
----------

 Man, THAT was offending! I was shocked. Now I am
scared to ping the computer again lest I receive a
plethora of abuses. I would be glad if someone helps
me resolve this matter.
 Reports on the internet suggest that for the time
being use the "who_the_hell_is" utility instead of
whois. Also using ping with the --sco parameter
(stands for Suppress Crazy Output) may curb the
problem, though experts are not sure it works on all
platforms.

 BTW did you guys know that PING stands for Packet
InterNet Groper ?

 Regards,
 Bhaskar.

 --- LinuxLingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >

> >  After the whois session, i tried ping. You guys
> won't
> > believe what strange results I got! All I got was
> a string of pongs! Like this...
>
> okay, this gets even more weird. i tried the stated
> ping command, and my
> doorbell started going ding dong ding dong until i
> pressed control+c.
> how did they wire up my doorbell. ipv69?
>
> what the heck is going on here?
>
> LL

=====
Bhaskar Dutta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     GPG  = AA56 1EB5 D7E8 DD9C 298E  8F4D 375F D416 01D5 671C