> Please keep these jokes outside this list. If you feel that u need to post
> jokes, then at least mark it as such in the subject line, so that our time
> is not wasted reading totally useless stuff.

Personally, a bit of humour once in a while is welcome. I've been here
a few months now, and I don't see the levels of humour as being so high
that they impede useful discussion and learning.

Just wanted to put in my ten paise worth of comment to defend the
original joker. I quite enjoyed this thread. :)

As an aside, I feel that all old Unix hands (as against fresh-faced
Linux converts and evangelists) always recognized that Unix is a kind of
(human) language of its own. Look at lines like the following:

  - "Quick! Check...can you finger me?"

  - "Don't ping me, or I'll / your bloody *!"

  - "Can you tar it for me?"

If one can't see the humour implicit in this, one is almost missing the
spirit of Unix. In that case, one might as well regress to the world of
corporate operating systems like IBM mainframes and VAX/VMS, where
commands were always verbose, meaningful, pregnant with significance,
and devoid of any tongue-in-cheek anything. In an attempt to build a
serious corporate brand image, they ensured you couldn't fault them with
a sense of humour. (They were selling to Wall Street, you can't blame
them. Black was the only colour of suits allowed.)

I saw this latest thread to be a (slightly juvenile) version of that
old Unix playfulness which has taught me that playful is not necessarily
useless. I for one would like to see this thread of humour remain. Geek
humour is usually quite refined humour.

This humour makes me feel that there's humour left in this world
other than the Cyrus Broacha "MTV Bakraa" brand of tickle-me-raucous
laughter. Makes me feel that I too belong somewhere.

Just my ten paise, for what it's worth. :)

Shuvam

PS: Sorry guys, I have a flaw in my character... tend to get a bit
    reflective sometimes. Age catching up. :)