--- LinuxLingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On
Tue, 2003-11-18 at 20:20, supreet wrote:

> > Regarding 486 running linux. I worked on 486 from
> 1996-1998 with
> > linux/X-windows.
> >
> > This thing works.
> >
> > Following Config I used to run:
> >
> > Intel 486-dx2 66Mhz
> > 8 Mb Ram
> > Realtek vga card with 256k memory 16 color
> >

> > With little effort this can still be done
>

> so the question is, if such a 486 pc, or a pentium
> I, is connected via
> ltsp to an amd athlonxp with redhat8 or 9, with a
> graphics card that
> supports 800x600 24-bit, would it still be able to
> handle gnome or
> kde...? and running openoffice? all streaming in
> from the amd athlonxp
> server?

When you are thinking of thin client or LTSP kind of
network solution, I would not go for Gnome/KDE at the
client end. Both are heavy and you don't want to run
all the kind of software which come with these two
desktop environment, do you? Yes you need a good
graphics card capable of 24bit resolution and may be
3D graphics, because you may be intending the clients
to access graphics related software. The main idea is
to utilise older PCs( 486, P-I) to work efficiently.
You serve software like OpenOffice from a central
server. My advice is that you stick to a less heavy
Window manager like IceWM, Window Maker, or XFCE4(it
is much improved). OpenOffice 1.1 is much faster than
the earlier versions. In a LTSP environment, the
subsequent loading of OpenOffice at the client end,
after some user has already done it, will be really
fast( one second or thereabout). And yes, such a
solution is thoroughly workable. In fact, I was trying
to convince my people its efficacy ( I am in
Government), but somehow, saving money by utilizing
obsolescent hardware has not been a priority in Govt.
offices.

-- narsingh