On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 23:20, LinuxLingam wrote:
> the entire discussion is quite stimulating. two clarifications:
>
> 1) one email suggests 128MB or more RAM for the pentium I or 486
> clients.
>
> 2) another email suggest 128MB ram for *each* client on the server.
> (gulp!).

Maybe a wrong sense is conveyed. On client minimum Pi with 32Mb is good.
On server RAM should be 128Mb per client - so if you are looking at 10
clients look at 1GB RAM on server. This is safe limit. On one server I
am running there is 1.5 GB RAM and we run 15~18 clients without problem.

> what i do find amazing, is that no discussion or exploration on the
> alternatives and choices available. for instance, all just place their
> bets on ltsp. if you check the pxe site, perhaps you may find something
> a little more convenient, but i don't know. am sure other alternatives
> are worth considering.

If it works good why consider alternative? I found after a bit ( yes not
very deep) look around that LTSP was easy to configure and gives working
system that is stable and could keep my team of non-techies happy at
their workstations.

May be some one who has implemented other systems can comment.

As to a look see at the system I am in Faridabad / Okhla Give a call on
+91-129-5061039 and we can fix up.
--
Sudev Barar

Learning Linux