LinuxLingam wrote:
On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 21:27, Raj Shekhar wrote:

LL, [snip] I did a search on "anti spam law india" on google and came across Inidan chapter of CAUCE (http://www.india.cauce.org/). Check out their "Got Spammed?" page (http://www.india.cauce.org/spammed.html) for some good advice.

It appears that there are no anti-spam and anti-telemarketing laws in India. Do you think we can put a PIL against them ?

i visited the cauce india site. couldn't figure out what is a PIL though
i read thru their pages.

PIL == Public interest ligitation. I am not sure how to go about doing this, I will have to do some research how exactly it works in our country. But if my limited knowledge serves me well, you do not have to be a lawyer to file a PIL in the court. Any citizen concerned about something can file a PIL in the high court.

I am willing to contribute money for this PIL. We can contact CAUCE with this idea. However a PIL would require that people are aware of this nuisance and that spamming is unlawful in other countries.

kindly explain.

Since CAUCE seems to have an idea what spam is, we can ask them to file a PIL. They would be able to brief the lawyers better.

if you haven't noted, the mainstream newspapers and magazines these days
are full of spam, cover-to-cover from the political parties and
politicians out to get your vote.
;-)

OK, you must be referring to the Slimes of India :). That is not a mainstream newspaper, its a pop paper now, pandering to page 3 type people. Just my NSHO :)

i could ask niyam to rant in some of his columns or talks. that
megalomaniac is always looking for something to rant about. [grin]

I second that idea. But I am not sure how mainstream LFY is.

i request people here to email NGOs like Centre for Science Environment,
the guys who publish down to earth magazine.

Can you post URL of these organizations ? I will contact them. This weekend I will make a email explaining about spam and using that as a template contact these organizations. Let us hope for a positive response.

--
                        \°°/
                        (oo)