--- Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [x-posted]
>
> Now I know this is a controversial topic with many different angles, but I
> felt this should be discussed to some length here.
>
> On a recent visit to Nehru Place, I was at first pleasantly surprised to
> see big stacks of LG MyPC branded boxes. I was told that they were selling
> very well. Costing between Rs.15k-20k, these machines are sold with some
> Linux distribution preloaded. I asked around and found out that each and
> every box that got sold in most of these shops at Nehru Place, went through
> a process of "cleansing" to make the box suitable for the customers. The
> cleansing process consisted of formatting the hard disk, installing Window
> XP or Windows 98, with MS Office and Norton Antivirus.

they come with Turbolinux , cleansing is happening for there own ulterior motive they
think the
customer is a cow whom they can milk multiple times if they have windows installed
rather than
Linux.

> I am not sure whether such an activity should be ignored by the Linux
> community in India. Yes, this has been reported before [1] in the
> international press.
well think twice they think with Linux the customer will not come back to them for
getting virus
cleaned , HDD formatted and pretty other mundane reasons for which actually they
charge.There has
to be a way where in the vendors gets educated with Linux support model and earns a
living
supporting it otherwise this will continue to happen.

> My feeling is that this whole business of wiping out Linux and installing
> Windows is actually hurting the image of Linux significantly in the general
> population. The hardware resellers are themselves telling the customer that
> Linux wont work for them, and that they will "take care" that the customers
> do not "suffer". The customers get an idea of Linux as something that
> should not be touched, and that Windows is better.
absolutely

>   If the computer maker (LG in this case, but you have HP/Compaq too now
> along with Esys) is interested in having the customer use Linux (unlikely
> 'coz they are mostly box-pushers), they should be concerned with this
> phenomenon. If the computer maker is not bothered, well I think we should
> be. It is definitely not good to have Linux associated with these kind of
> activities.
how can you make that happen?

> So do you think the Indian Linux community can and should be doing
> something about this?
show them money in the support model they will follow .

satyakam