Anupam Jain wrote:

Being involved with ilugc for almost 3 years now, as both physical
volunteer and active in mailing list, I just want to add some of our own
experiences as a LUG.

Every LUG can have two modes of operation which are vital to call it
alive or dead - Digital and Physical.

Digital activities include Mailing List (which is more or less
mandatory) and a web site or wiki. Physical activities include monthly
meets, seminars and workshops, etc.

Considering mailing lists, its pretty much open to discussions. Though
sometimes it gets personal, most times there are enough people and posts
for both sides of the coin. But, as far as I have seen, participation in
mailing list alone doesn't make one take decisions for a LUG. Although
it is true that all people can not make themselves physically present in
all the meets, at least they should be know to have attended a few. More
physical participation you put, more your voices are heard.

Though all issues are posted and discussed in mailing list, mostly
whenever a concrete decision was required it was always through meets
and physical participation. Decision making in mailing list has rather
been ending up in a void state, without a concrete decision been reached
  mainly due to high volume counter-postings and flame wars.

Sometimes we have had polls, example when we wanted to decide about
reply-to munging for the mailing list. But, for physical activities it
has always been through physical participations i.e. meets. Such meets
are announced prior, those who are interested in decision making
participate, those who are not in chennai do mail their voices before
the meeting and the final decision is to the people who attend the
meeting, mostly the most active 10-20 people of the LUG.

I think, this is not much different from what have been happening in at
least the other 2 LUGs i mentioned. Though Delhi  LUG may be a
registered body, still AFAIK follows a similar method where important
decisions are taken through  meetings and physical voting.

--
With Regards

Parthan (TechnoFreak)

.   A Proud GNU/Linux User and Ubuntero