> Viksit Gaur wrote:
>> Hullo,
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out what this name embodies.
>>
>> "Freed" elicits, atleast in me, notions of a bunch of
>> previously subjugated people now unshackled by
>> something.  Not necessarily with respect to FOSS. It
>> could be a revolt, a coup de etat or whatever. Freed
>> 2007 would make a great libertarian conference, going
>> by names alone.
>
> I am interpreting this name in exactly the same way. If we(viksit and me)
> are right,
> and that was the intention by the society, then the name is dangerously
> deceptive.
> We haven't achieved software freedom yet, and in any  case, we
> should always emphasize that fighting for freedom is a lifelong process -
> as they say "Fighting to get freedom is not enough, we have to keep
> fighting
> forever to preserve it".

In my opinion, both of you have looked only at the name, and not the
associated tagline: Freedom in technology and software. At the same
time, I strongly disagree that the event is about freedom in software
alone, though that is certainly the current focus. The name implies
that we are interested in the concept of freedom in related areas too,
such as in collaborative sharing, in music, video, etc., and do not
wish to restrict ourselves just to a software ghetto. It also lends
itself to puns, and is catchy while being concise. I am not sure how
you guys derive the idea that the name says that what we are
talking about is a one-time thing, nor how it implies that we have
already achieved software freedom.
  PJ has already done a great job of explaining the reasoning behind
the choice of name, so I will refrain from following up on that.

Regards,
Gora