On Saturday 05 May 2007 14:32, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> [snip]
>
> In this particular case though, the renaming of the event was a
> complete surprise. Nobody knew that such a requirement was there.
> Normally before such decisions, people did discuss things online
> before deciding on the final option in the actual meeting. It is
> still ok that the meeting participants discovered the need in the
> meeting, and also found a solution. But is it wrong to discuss the
> decision in the mailing list? Or has the objective of the list
> changed - and that we can only discuss Linux here and all ILUGD
> related discussions have to happen at the meeting? If that it so,
> accept my apologies. You will hear no more from me on such matters in
> the future.

Hey, the decision still isn't set in stone, you know?  I mean, we
haven't given up the freedel.in domain name yet or anything ;)

While I agree that decisions should be taken by consensus as far as
possible, there is a specific issue here: the decision wasn't a
consensual one even within the group who were meeting to discuss it.

Long story:

We are lucky to have got hold of the services of a top-notch PR
professional for no cost to us at all.  We had very intensive sessions
with Rajesh, including verbal abuse between the members.  The only
thing that we could ALL agree on was that Rajesh was doing a great job
and it would be stupid of us to not pay attention to what he was
saying.

Rajesh was very emphatic on the name change.  There was resistance
within the group to that too (we all hate change, don't we?), but
eventually he convinced us that Freed was a far better identity for the
event than Freedel.  Not being any good at PR myself, I wouldn't be
able to specify the exact arguments he gave, but damn, they did sound
convincing at that time!

I'm not saying that we should go with what Rajesh says just because he's
a highly-paid (though not by us) consultant; nor am I saying that we
are stuck forever and ever with the name Freed.  If there's enough
people who feel that it's wrong, we should seriously reconsider the
name change and revert to Freedel.  We could even hold one event as
Freed and the next one as Freedel if we feel things aren't working out
with the new identity.  However, please also consider all the
ramifications of the name change (as pointed out by PJ) before you make
up your mind.  And whether it's GNU/Linux or Linux or FLOSS or FOSS or
BSD or Hurd, let's not worry about terminology right now, OK?

To respond to Kenneth, no, we don't want to be The One And Only FLOSS
Event in the country.  There are currently no plans for moving
Freed/Freedel out of Delhi.  Having said that, we don't want to be
limited either, so from that point of view Freed is more appropriate
than Freedel -- if you're building an identity, why limit it to one
city from the outset?  Makes more sense to go with an identity that
lets you grow and evolve in the future, even in directions that you may
not be able to foresee right now.

Regards,

- -- Raju
- --
Raj Mathur           [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://kandalaya.org/
       GPG: 78D4 FC67 367F 40E2 0DD5  0FEF C968 D0EF CC68 D17F
                      It is the mind that moves