>     So, my objection is to the throttling of the supply side, by keeping
>     the enhancements from the community. With the GPL, if the demand
>     goes high enough, others can come in to supply to same service, or
>     people can help themselves -- since the supply of the enhancement
>     code is not stifed.

I see a flaw in that theory. GPL allows for people to make changes to
the code and keep it to themselves as long as they don't further
distribute it.

How is that completely different from a closed source company making
enhancements in BSD and selling it further without disclosing the
changes to the community?

Before you jump on it, I am not disputing that the users who bought this
software might have lost their freedom. I am only pointing out that in
both cases, others have the freedom to still carry on from the point
when the source is available and free to use for public.

If you consider the closed source company and its customers to be one
independent entity (practically, this customer is probably not open to
open source software in any case), how do their actions impact the rest
of the community around the BSD style licenced software? As you
mentioned, if demand is high enough, people can still help themselves to
the last version of the open source software.

So you might ask, what is the incentive to keep enhancing the BSD
software? It is more or less the same incentive that drives GPL software
owners, minus the constant bitterness against the closed source
community. :)

- Sandip