Quoting Anant Narayanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> Well, in software,
> >> there are several known examples where Microsoft has taken BSD code,
> altered
> >> it, and tried to lock users in to their way of doing things so that they
> can
> >> exploit them forever after. To an extent they have succeeded more than
> failed.
> >
> > This is the reason why GPL is important.
>
> GPL has redefined the word "freedom". True freedom means that anyone can
> do whatever they want with code. Hence the BSD style licenses are truly
> "free". GPL-like freedom, on the other hand is "forced freedom". Forced
> freedom, IMHO, is as good as no freedom at all.

as far as I am concerned, both gpl and bsd style licenses have their place. I
would reserve gpl for really innovative code (and there is very little of that)
and keep bsd style licenses for the rest. Incidently how come things like apache
and postgresql are surviving inspite of bsd style licenses - not to speak about
perl, php, python etc etc. Or are the authors of all these morons who dont
understand what is freedom?