PJ wrote:
> The GPL compatible licences are designed to preserve freedom for the users.
> The BSD style licences have helped Microsoft take away freedom from the users.

I disagree. Something licensed under the BSD license always remains free
and the source code open to all. It is only when changes are made to it
that this "freedom" vanishes.

When someone makes minor changes to BSD-licensed code it is unlikely
that they are going to make millions of dollars out of it. If they are,
chances are that they've made significant changes to the code.

The point is, true freedom means the developer decides how he wants the
code licensed. Once a developer switches to GPL, he goes down a one-way
path (thereby ending his freedom) while BSD-style licenses give you
enough flexibility to rethink your decisions.

--
Anant