On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 10:53 +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
[...]
> could you say what exactly sarai uses multimedia for?

The list at http://indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/CM_Multimedia
is roughly in order of priority, namely:
1. Conversion between audio/video formats: This is only top-
   priority because it is of general utility, and I know what
   tools to use, and plan to build a small GUI front-end to
   facilitate the work.
2. Audio editing, and music sequencing: This is the immediate
   area of priority. The audio editing requirements are reasonably
   simple, and can probably be handled by FOSS. The other need
   right now is to be able to make a timeline that will allow
   music to be matched to a series of static images. I believe
   that this can be done by Blender, with a plugin. If this works,
   sequencing of music along with video would be the next point
   of interest.
3. Video editing: Something along the lines of at least Adobe
   Premiere Pro, but preferrably comparable to Final Cut Pro.
   I do not have enough knowledge in this area to even articulate
   possible requirements, but have to sit with the production
   people to get a feel for things. Cinelerra is something that
   might work, especially as I am told that it is similar to Adobe
   Premiere Pro. I installed it on my laptop, and worked through an
   introductory online tutorial, and while things worked fine, I
   am far from competent to judge quality, and usability in this
   area.
4. 3D/2D animation: This is not an immediate need, but I believe
   that people would use Blender, and come to like it once they
   get familiar with it.
5. Graphics: The needs are probably adequately met with GIMP, etc.,
   but the common complaint is proper handling of CMYK.

One of the other main areas that we are interested in is desktop
publishing that handles Indian languages properly, which means
something like Scribus, or, at a pinch, Omega (TeX).

Regards,
Gora