Quoting Anupam Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On 7/30/07, Kenneth Gonsalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > On 30-Jul-07, at 1:55 PM, PJ wrote:
> >
> > > Since the starcom UT modem I have at the office is redistributed
> > > without source
> > > access and GPL text, it seems to be the same kind of violation as
> > > skype's
> > > violation when skype distributed their voip set without source
> > > access and GPL
> > > text.
> >
> > if MTNL has not modified the code in the modem, it is under no
> > obligation to provide the source or the GPL text
> >

> Ok Lets look at it this way.. MTNL gets the right to distribute the modem
> from Starcom.. Starcom does not have the right to distribute the modem
> unless it complies with the GPL.. Starcom does not comply with the GPL..
> Hence Starcom neither has the right to distribute nor the right to give the
> right to distribute the software to a third party.. Hence MTNL has no rights
> to distribute the tainted code..
>
> I don't see where the confusion is..

right - somehow I had assumed that starcom had complied with the GPL. Although I
dont think MTNL would have any contract with starcom. MTNL would be purchasing
modems on the tender system from some dealer and would be passing the same as
recieved to the customer after testing it. So the customer usually gets the
modem with original packing and literature. Even then MTNL is guilty of
violation of GPL. And so is every dealer/retailer who sells these modems. The
obvious solution is to sue starcom. Given the success in the dlink case, I would
assume that Harald welte has already issued notice to starcom - assuming that
starcom is big enough to show up on his radar. In India, the easiest way of
shaking up MTNL is to file an application under the RTI act seeking information
as to who is responsible for MTNL getting involved in illegal deals like this.
Any Indian citizen can file such an application - and such applications are
extraordinarily effective.