--- Linux Lingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> thanks vivek.
> i wonder if hardisks, especially when used for such
> heavy read-writes,
> can last 10 years. i've seen my data cds have
> actually lasted 10
> years, but can't recall a single hard-disk that has.

 As backups which is not accessed so frequently, yes
they can last. I have 4GB harddrives with me which are
used as backups since April 1996. I only connect them
to my machine while i have to copy something from
archieves. With proper care HDD can last long really
long.
 Older cds or dvds used to last for years but i have
noticed that newer ones dont. Maybe they have
compromised quality somewhere to bring down the cost.

 Tapes are not that good specially for home use. Ask
the system admins who have to take backups on tapes
and restore content...
 A big harddrive or maybe two or three smaller drives
could be really useful. I would personally prefer two
or three smaller drives. One main backup and others as
backup of the backup. That way even if one disk fails
you have redundant data to fall back upon.

regards
VK

> so i guess archive has to be on something else.
> more responses to other suggestions in the thread.
>
> thanks everyone for your ideas.
>
> :-)
> niyam

> Archives at:
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.user-groups.linux.delhi

Engineers normally have problem with every solution. If not they have  a
solution in search of a problem.

Disclaimer
distinction is yours to draw...