I have installed Ubuntu on my external hard disk.
I had installed it in the normal way we do it for internal hard disk.
The main problem i got was that i was able to boot the os on my pc but nowhere
else .
Lot of errors came when i had booted it on my friends laptop.

Saleem Ansari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 9/22/07, Puneet Lakhina
 wrote:

> Hi,
> I have recently bought a Dell Laptop which has come with vista
> preinstalled.
> In my earlier post some people had recommended resizing the windows
> partition, but there was also some indications that this is a little
> complex.
>
> I have thought of a solution on which I want to get some views. I have
> spare
> USB External Hard disk lying around in my desk. So i thought maybe I can
> install Linux on this and boot from this USB drive when I want to use
> Linux.

Well I myself have never did an installation on a USB harddisk, but perhaps
this will be helpful.
http://www.dinkercharak.com/comp/linux-usb.htm
If you manage to go some steps further then do reply.

I would be really glad if anyone could point out the potential problems I
> might face with this sort of setup.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Puneet