> [snip bit about laptop with MS windows]
> > I have thought of a solution on which I want to get some views. I have
> spare
> > USB External Hard disk lying around in my desk. So i thought maybe I can
> > install Linux on this and boot from this USB drive when I want to use
> Linux.
> >
> > I would be really glad if anyone could point out the potential problems
> > might face with this sort of setup.

Ubuntu does not  work really well  after being installed on one hardware and
moved to another.
There's a similar thing called "LiveCDCustomization" for you. Have a look,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

Meanwhile, one of my friends had installed Dynebolic, that runs pretty well
on USB hard disks.
The problem with Ubuntu is that on every system, it needs some configuring
when hardware changes (like editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc.).

However, if you've similar hardware on all machines, then your
usb-installation will work perfectly. While installing Ubuntu, make sure you
turn off "Automatic Mounting of external hard-drives" after booting from
live cd.

With big portable external harddisks around these days, the option of
carrying your OS around seems great!

--
Kazim Zaidi
B.Tech. (Computers) 3rd year