On 13-Nov-07, at 8:13 PM, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >         Could you please elaborate? Do you have specifics in mind
> > where
> >  Debian is either "purist friendly" or not "user friendly", but a
> > Debian
> >  derivative has markedly different behaviour?

Well, my ignorance doesn't allow me to participate in a flamewar here.
But the point that I want to convey was that Ubuntu & Debian have very
different goals. Ubuntu insists on user-friendliness and targets desktop
users
primarily, while Debian would aim for stability and originality.

In particular read here http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/56

On 13/11/2007, Kenneth Gonsalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> and given that 80% of all traffic on all Indian LUG mailing lists is
> comprised of Ubuntu guys complaining of their problems, I fail to see
> how it can be considered user friendly.

[snip]

Would you also please consider the fact that majority of the newbies
trying out Linux for the first time try Ubuntu? I would argue that at
present,
Ubuntu users across the world are more novice than Debian users.
With Canonical's CD-for-free, Ubuntu has reached more home users
than any other distribution.

Also, being user-friendly and running into problems are different things.
I would like to ask you what's your perspective of user-friendliness.

Again, I'm not equipped for flamebaits. I've had very little experience with
Debian.

- Kazim Zaidi
Blog: http://tuxplayground.blogspot.com