On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 15:36 +0530, Vikas Rawal wrote:
[...]
> I was in a Reliance store yesterday trying to find out what they
> have. This particular store had a usb modem of ZTE make which clearly
> said compatible with "Windows 2000, XP and Vista". What make is your
> model and how does one know if the one they are giving you would be
> compatible or not?

I have a Huawei EC325 that I know for sure works. I think the ZTE
ones should also work. Just plug it in to your Linux box, and
run wvdialconf to find it (should be something like /dev/ttyUSB0).
This will also create /etc/wvdial.conf which you can edit to add
username/password. Thereafter, run wvdial to connect. Even
without a username/password, if wvdialconf finds the modem, and
wvdial at least tries to connect, you should be home free. The
shop should allow you to do at least this much.

> People at this particular store had no idea what linux was. One of
> them thought it was a laptop brand and another thought it was some
> software used by defence services!!

Yeah, they have no clue about Linux. I have been meaning to walk
into a Tata Indicom store, and demand support for my Linux laptop.
By the way they are actually correct in the latter instance: The
Indian Navy is heavily into Linux these days, to the tune of
several thousand installations of BossLinux.

Regards,
Gora