Hi Gora,

I have attended only one Freed (it was called Freedel at that point)
and the focus seems to have shifted quite a bit since that time (open
source s/w focused event to a more "social revolution" kind of event).
Therefore, please read my comments in that context -- most of them may
be emanating from the fact that the new direction doesn't fit my
notion of the event.

1. How does a focus on the "Knowledge Ecosystem" tie in with open
source software? It surely ties in with open standards (and file
formats), but not necessarily with free/open source software. However,
freed.in may focus on the use of open source software in helping
create the knowledge system - which is absolutely fine. Except that
(a) this is not stated anywhere explicitly in the document, and (b)
not all content can be managed properly with open source s/w as of
now.

2. The term "Knowledge Ecosystem" can mean different things to
different people. I've read the document carefully, it does not define
what "knowledge ecosystem" means to the organizers of the event in
clear concise terms. I think that's important. Also, knowledge can
impact lots of aspects of our lives. It would be good to list a few of
them, which Freed is planning to focus upon. From the tone of the
document, education and government seemed to be the primary focus, but
again, helps to be explicit.

3. What does section 1.3 mean? How do you plan to achieve the tangible
goals listed out in this section through Freed.in? Wouldn't achieving
these goals require a lot more sustained effort than a 3 day event?
Section 2.4 answers this question partially, but I'm still a bit
skeptical. Also, from a document writing perspective, portions of the
text of section 2.4 should be contained in section 1.3 to make things
more obvious.

4. Pardon me, but IMHO, most of section 3.1 offers nothing concrete to
the user. It simply adds to the sense of vagueness. It should probably
be removed and replaced by a succinct definition of the term
"Knowledge Ecosystem" and be moved to somewhere in section 1 itself.

5. This might be my ignorance, but what role do open source licenses
(as defined by OSI) play in creating and sharing knowledge? (Also, the
link to OSI http://opensource.org opens a website wildly different
from http://www.opensource.org!)

As an overall comment, the document needs to be more specific.
Probably you're expecting community feedback to flesh out the details.
But in my opinion, the overall vagueness (and too many buzzwords)
hampered my in offering any useful feedback.

Making the document shorter and adding a one line "mantra" (v/s a
mission and vision statement) about Freed should help people
understand the overall context. And get the ideas flowing.

Nandz.
--
http://nandz.blogspot.com
http://foodieforlife.blogspot.com