On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> +++ Angad Singh [18/06/08 12:17 +0530]:
> >Belenix is a LiveCD distribution of OpenSolaris created by the indian
> >opensolaris community - bangalore opensolaris user group (BOSUG).
>

> Angad,
>
> What is the current licensing state of Opensolaris? Is it entirely open
> sourced?

> This is from Wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSolaris):
>
>        The opening of the Solaris source code has been an incremental
> process.
>        The first part of the Solaris codebase to be open sourced was the
>        Solaris Dynamic Tracing facility (commonly known as DTrace), a
> tracing
>        tool for administrators and developers that aids in tuning a system
> for
>        optimum performance and utilisation. DTrace was released on January
> 25,
>        2005. At that time, Sun also released the first phase of the
>        opensolaris.org web site, announced that the OpenSolaris code base
> would
>        be released under the CDDL (Common Development and Distribution
>        License), and announced the intent to form a Community Advisory
> Board
>        (CAB). The opening day launch, in which the bulk of the Solaris
> system
>        code was released, was June 14, 2005. There remains some system code
>        that is not open sourced, and is available only as binary files. The
>        OpenSolaris source code represents the code in the most recent
>        development build of Solaris.
>
> Is part of the distribution still just binary? Any roadmap when it is
> going to be completely open sourced?

OpenSolaris 2008.05 is 99% opensource except for a few drivers and userland
tools. In all these cases the code is derived from third party
sources and Sun does not own the rights to open these up. These will
eventually be replaced with open cleanroom implementations. These are all
legally re-distributable binaries.

To bootstrap an OpenSolaris based distro, one needs some closed binaries. It
is a 7mb download. It was a much bigger download earlier,
but over a period of time this has reduced and the goal is to remove them
altogether. These are free as in beer as of now. If there are people
interested in making this happen they may join the emancipation project. It
is currently being worked on by John Sonnenschein OR they may also work with
the BeleniX team, the list of closed binaries are clearly identified and
specified as a project idea in the BeleniX
page (see: http://www.genunix.org/distributions/belenix_site/?q=projects -
Replace closed source commands)

Bulk of the kernel is available under CDDL. Many other open source softwares
are under their individual licenses.

As far as Belenix is concerned, the tooling to build belenix from scratch
and specs to build all the softwares that it provides is available at
sourceforge (see: http://sourceforge.net/projects/belenix)

Also am curious about this part from your FAQ:
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/general_faq/#whatis
>
>     Below are key OpenSolaris-related technologies:
>
>           OpenSolaris Source Code: This is the source base for open
>           development. It consists of several components called
> consolidations.
>           See the downloads page for the technologies released and the
> roadmap for
>           future releases. At present, the OpenSolaris source base is not
> enough
>           to bootstrap an entire system, so developers start by downloading
> an
>           OpenSolaris distribution and installing the OpenSolaris bits on
> top.
>
> It seems that even man pages of OpenSolaris are not available for
> redistribution yet.
>

> http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Belenix_FAQ#Where_are_the_Man_Pages_.3F

The belenix FAQ hasn't had a end-to-end review for some time now and needs
an update. People have only done minor edits on & off.
The man pages were open sourced in 4 installments and are available since
September 2007 (check manpage consolidation at opensolaris.org). But BeleniX
still doesn't include it to make space for bundling lot more softwares. It
was planned to be included in 0.7 but was dropped in favour of additional
softwares. (source: belenix team)

If anyone cares about making the last remaining bits free as in speech, the
Belenix team would be glad to have them part of their team. The size of the
BeleniX team can be currently counted on the fingers of a hand. They need
people who can be part of their team and help continue to make a smashing
opensolaris based distro.

Given these constraints how does OpenSolaris/Belenix qualify to be
> called a "Free" unix distribution? Please note that I am not in any way
> belittling the contribution of the Belenix team. I admire their
> contribution to develop community based software. My questions are
> directed only at the OpenSolaris project.

It is a herculean task both in terms of money and effort required to open up
a software ecosystem of the scale of Solaris. Sun spent
a few millions and 2 years of initial effort just to get the initial
open-sourcing done 3 years back. Over the last 3 years a lot more stuff has
been opened and the process is still on. 3000 man pages have already been
opened up and more are coming one by one. The effort needed to do all these
is huge so time and resourcing both determine how fast these happen. In fact
each and every piece of software in SUN is being thrown open. For e.g.. last
year portions of the SUN Cluster product were opened up and this year the
entire stuff has been open-sourced as the OPAC project . The above FAQ is
out of date and needs to be changed. OpenSolaris 2008.05 is self-hosting and
even BeleniX for that matter after we test it further and iron out the
kinks. The OpenSolaris source bundle will give rise to a complete build from
which the kernel can boot. The complete userland boot requires other
"opensource" software like libxml, openssl etc. The only closed bits are the
few drivers and userland tools alluded to earlier. This can be said for sure
since Moinak Gosh, architect of Belenix has been building BeleniX from
OpenSolaris source and has found it boots, installs and works fine.

Most linux zealots tend to say "if it's not GPL, it's not free"... and in
that case, arguing with you is impossible. It's CDDL and will remain so for
the years to come, AFAIK. As far as ZFS is concerned, Jeff Bonwick, the
creator of ZFS posted 3 photos (
http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/entry/Casablanca) of him sitting and chatting
with Linus Torvalds and it was titled 'Casablanca, so we are led to
speculate that ZFS is going to be coming to Linux soon (
http://www.osnews.com/story/19757/ZFS-Coming-to-Linux/). It has not been
possible till now because of the incompatibility between CDDL and GPL
licenses where opensolaris and linux codebase differ. FreeBSD and MacOSX
already have ZFS. That's all I really know.

OpenSolaris is not GPL. It is open source. The reference in terms of saying
what is open source or not is The Open Source Initiative (OSI) (
http://www.opensource.org/). They have defined a set of 10 criteria (
http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd) which a license has to satisfy if it is
to be considered open source. In order to simplify the choice for users /
developers / administrators, they even go as far as evaluating existing
licenses and listing the ones they have approved as being open source (
http://www.opensource.org/licenses) because they satisfy the 10 criteria.
OpenSolaris is published under the CDDL which is one of the OSI approved
open source licenses, yes, just as GPL, BSD, Apache, MIT and several others.
This means that OpenSolaris is open source as defined by OSI.

Considering Ubuntu, one of the most popular Linux distro's (and one of my
personal favs), the way they make such a very nice open source distro is
that they bundle a bunch of open source stuff and a few bits of
redistributable proprietary things (like drivers for fancy NVIDIA cards).
The OpenSolaris community does the same with Open Solaris. It's
"topologically" equivalent to Ubuntu in that respect. In fact, if you take
your average Linux distro with GNOME, and compare it to an OpenSolaris
distro with GNOME, you really get the same thing except for a few
differences.

Same : GRUB, X.org (half of the code in there is from Sun - the rest is HP,
SGI, MIT and a few others) GNOME (and all the GNOME things - Ekiga, GTKam),
OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird... all the things you experience as a
user. GNU command line utilities (BASH, gtar, vim...). Binary
redistributable proprietary apps/drivers (NVIDIA, FLASH player).

Different : Kernel (Solaris kernel vs Linux kernel - both licensed under an
OSI license). Pure UNIX system libraries and  command line utilities
(licensed under open source licenses). JDK6 (Linux will offer to install JDK
6 or ship with OpenJDK6 depending on the distro).

On the other hand, if you look at the technology, the latest bits (namely
Project Indiana aka OpenSolaris 2008.05) do have a lot of interesting stuff
in there like IPS, ZFS, Dtrace, Zones, SMF, Xen, and a LiveCD to get you
going quick. The desktop is pretty much a copy of Ubuntu if you ask me,
though that doesn't matter, as I just care for the technology beneath it.

I hope this helps position OpenSolaris being in the open source space for
Linux fans of this list.

You're going to find better explanations elsewhere but this is my
understanding and knowledge and a bit I could collect from a few old
opensolaris geeks out there. I do not want to portray the 'us against them
attitude' as someone on this list eloquently quoted. I am not replying to
this mail as a representative of the OpenSolaris community nor as an
temporary employee of Sun and just expressing my views and the little that I
know and have come to know about OpenSolaris. On an honest note, I'm still
quite a newbie to it, but have made the effort to collect some facts to
stand up to my claim. I also do not want to start a flamewar (though this
whole topic is flaimbait) and would encourage people to give objective
arguments in support of whatever they say. Having said that, I'd add that I
am just a sun campus ambassador and a newbie solaris fan and I rather not
pretend to be more.

Angad Singh
http://angadsingh.in
http://blogs.sun.com/angad

"The best way to predict future is to invent it"