+++ Sudhanwa Jogalekar [21/06/08 15:43 +0530]:

>Ubuntu also has some proprietory components but nobody says it is
>NON-FOSS and is promoted and accepted very well everywhere.

Perhaps you did not completely understand what Raj said in the previous
mail - all the Linux distros mentioned (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) out of the
box are perfectly FOSS compliant. Any addition of proprietery drivers
(often mentioned while spreading FUD about these distros, like the one
  a few mails
back) is *always* done after the OS is up and running. The proprietary
drivers are never necessary for the basic functioning of the OS. nvidia
works with vesa, mp3 doesn't work as they should not, mplayer is not
installed as it should not be, proprietery codecs are not installed as
they should not be. Each of
these are only installed once the user deliberately asks for them to be
installed after the OS is installed, and with full knowledge about the
compromise they would be doing in the process.

All this said, I would admit that Opensolaris is on its way to be a
FOSS distro. The community is working hard, they are also perhaps
pushing Sun to move faster. At the end having another FOSS alternative
is always a good thing.

Free software definition has always been zealously defined and defended.
Regardless of people either misunderstanding it or trying to dilute its
definition intentionally, it is important to be alert and making sure
there is no compromise.

<speaking-for-myself>
The Opensolaris community in India should not feel negative about the
FOSS communities like ILUGD if their ultimate aim is the same as ours.
They actually have our support in their endeavours. Don't get too upset
about these discussions. We only ask that please be clear about the
ultimate aim - Free software for every man/woman (Free not as in beer).
People are naturally proud about their work, and they should be, but
don't have any illusions about where you stand, and I mean to say this
in a good way.
</>

- Sandip

--