On Saturday 21 Jun 2008, Angad Singh wrote:
> [snip]
> You did not tell me your views on this post:
> http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=64465&tstart=0
>
> Let me quote it here: "In my understanding the answer is no. Please
> note that the Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, FreeBSD are not 100% FOSS
> either. Richard Stallman currently uses an OLPC, also with a non-100%
> FOSS operating system."

Well, first of all I don't use any of those distributions, so am not the
right person to decide.  Secondly, the question here wasn't whether
Ubuntu (or SuSE or whatever) is FOSS or not, it was about OSolaris.
Slinging mud at others doesn't necessarily make you more clean
yourself.  Thirdly, bringing personalities into the discussion (RMS) is
a completely FUD tactic, and anyway the last time I met RMS he was
running Debian Hurd or something on his IBM laptop.  Maybe he's got an
OLPC since then, but either way it's immaterial to the discussion at
hand.

In any case, if we get back to my original point, about it being
possible to install, boot and use an OS using only FOSS, the the
distributions you have named above all fit the bill.  OSolaris doesn't.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/