On Sunday 29 Jun 2008, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On 28-Jun-08, at 10:46 AM, Raj Mathur wrote:
> >> cant be sold - a service can be offered around foss. Note that all
> >> foss developers charge service tax and not sales tax/vat
> >
> > Yes, FOSS can be sold, if you find someone to buy it.  I sold (not
> > serviced) the first copy of Linux in India, and if sales tax had
> > been applicable back then in the mists of time, that's what I would
> > have charged.
>
> and when you finally find a buyer for that bridge across the Yamuna
> don't forget to add octroi and VAT

If you don't believe me, I'd suggest you get some competent lawyer to
read the various licences at opensource.org and explain to you how none
of them prevents you from selling the software.

Just because a software is FOSS doesn't mean that anything prevents you
from selling it.  Of course, usually you won't be able to sell it since
your potential client could just download it from the 'net, or get it
free by other means.  However, if she can't, or is willing to spend
money on FOSS for any other reason it is perfectly legitimate and legal
to sell her any FOSS package or distribution, and to charge any amount
that she is willing to pay.

Some licences like the GPL force you to provide source code for a
nominal fee along with binaries at the user's request; however, that
nominal fee applies to the source code, not to the binaries -- there is
no limit on how much you can charge for the binaries.

In short, not being able to sell FOSS is a limitation of the market (no
one wants to buy it), rather than some intrinsic limitation in FOSS
itself.

Regards,

-- Raju
--