On 30-Jun-08, at 3:39 PM, Raj Mathur wrote:

> If someone wants to buy a FOSS package it is perfectly legal and, IMO,
> moral to sell it to her.  After all, the package remains doesn't
> become
> proprietary by the mere fact of sale -- it remains FOSS.

question is: when you 'sell' FOSS do you charge VAT or do you charge
service tax. We recently 'bought' a FOSS package for 3 lakhs. We were
charged service tax to the tune of 36,000. If we had 'bought' a
proprietary package we would have paid sales tax at 4% or 12,000. (at
that time there was no VAT in tamilnadu).

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate, NRC-FOSS