On 30-Jun-08, at 3:49 PM, Dinesh Shah wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <> wrote:
>> ultimately law is made by the supreme court. There is no such thing
>> as 'settled law', laws are always subject to change - just needs a
>> larger bench of the supreme court to do so. And when the court looks
>> at any law, they look at the written law as well as such things as
>> natural justice, equity, interests of the state, interests of the
>> public in general and then they pronounce on the law.
>
> err... When have our honorable courts have become law makers? Any and
> all courts only help the interpretation of law laid down by our
> (dis?)honorable law makers namely - parliament and legislative
> counciles of states.

law comes from:
1. tradition or custom (common law)
2. Parliament and legislative assemblies
3. Ordinances from the executive branch
4. Judgements of the high courts and supreme court

but ultimately the final arbiter and hence lawmaker is the supreme
court (note the word ultimately in the quote).

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate, NRC-FOSS