On 30-Jun-08, at 6:10 PM, Anand Shankar wrote:

> I believe the two are FOSS. And as per the GoI contract document, it
> is VAT instead of Service Tax!! If you were to <emphasis> interpret
> more closely </emphasis>, it means most Government Departments are
> ending up buying FOSS, and that too as a Proprietary Software!!! In
> fact, it seems it is easier for the seller to propose them as
> Proprietary Software, and buyer to ask the seller saying that it is a
> Proprietary Software, to facilitate easy purchase within his
> organisation. All for the Government records!!! Moreover I am not sure
> how many purchase officers can tell the difference between the two and
> how.

I have just mailed the people who are charging service tax -
interesting to see what their response is. After all if foss is a
product that can be bought and sold, why should they charge extra?
Interestingly enough, I am unable to find in the lists of FOSS
business models any mention of a business model of selling FOSS as a
product. But I suppose in view of the results of this debate, this
will change.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves