On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश शाह) <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Narendra,
>
> Thanks a lot for long list of complains. :) Keep them coming. let me
> respond to your points in-line.

These are much like complains,, but I am working on them also.

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:11 PM, narendra sisodiya
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > @Dinesh , Better to ask, what are the problems in FOSS adaptations.
> >
> > Adaptation of Linux is not fast and not up to the expectations. My
> > observations are not good....
>
> I do understand. However,  to accelerate the adaption you to create
> positive talking points which is basically marketing jargon for
> packaging the sh** in nice wrapper. :)
>
> Since, I can only reach those students who already has adapted
> GNU/Linux and are one list, I thought it best ask them what they like.
>
> > 1) Linux and FOSS are not much popular..
> > ### I will love to put up posters at Nehru Place, provided somebody
> > volunteer for design.
>
> Here is the collateral you need. This I guess is under suitable CC
> license so you should be able to adapt as per your need
>
> http://db.ilug-bom.org.in/wiki/index.php/Linux_Brochure_Quick_Guide
>
> http://db.ilug-bom.org.in/wiki/index.php/Linux_Brochure
>
> http://db.ilug-bom.org.in/wiki/index.php/Linux_Brochure_Alternate
>
> http://db.ilug-bom.org.in/wiki/index.php/Desktop_Linux_Article
>
> and there are more documents there!

I will try to paste at Nehru Place.

> > ### Documentary movies on TV or radios show can help to encourage Linux
> > users.
>
> This is not very difficult to generate. You need a low/medium end
> Video Cam and there are number FOSS based events to shoot your content
> from. So are you capturing any event?

We have tried our efforts to capture workshop but it was unsucessful always.
That is why i am working on Project Eduvid

You can put this audio/video on
> giss.tv or even youtube is you agree to their T&C. :)
>

> > ### Why not our articles in paper or media ? I do not have any media
> > contacts !!
>
> I do see articles in media. In fact I show few some days back and
> posted the links on ILUG-Bom list.

We need more..

> > ### When you talk about users.. Always keep in mind.. they want comfort
> and
> > not knowledge . Most of students are users too.
>
> So can you be specific about users "discomforts". Then only we can
> make some thing that addresses that "discomforts"
>
> > ### Workshops for teacher/college prof will be very useful.
>
> Nice suggestion. That could be one of the target audiance.

We have made one sucessful workshop in past and will do many such. looking
for good collaborations.

> > ### There is a bootable Live Linux Gamer DVD, distributing them will make
> > some more awareness.
> >
> > 2) Slow Internet.
> > ## Its almost impossible to use/update/configure Linux without Internet.
> > This is a major hurdle in foss adaptation.
>
> Have you used the Other OS with Automatic Update ON? That will suck
> out the life of best of your internet connection. :) Today most
> softwares and updates are distributed on-line. Any form of removable
> media is only used for initial installation of OS and some softwares.

My main and hidden concern was with "one click install without internet
connectivity for easy sharing of software bundles".  Well, Soon I will try
to come up with such spins,, I hope that will reach to many new users.

> > ## Putting rpm into bundle (one of the previous mail to make 'bad Linux"
> for
> > users who do not have Internet) can solve this problems
>
> That was discuss on least and majority of Gurus suggested that it does
> not look very feasible. However, how about you starting some project
> around that? Start small line you want to distribute development tools
> on CD. Constructing such CD should not be way too difficult if you
> know how major packaging systems work.

I told , I am trying,,

> > 3) Students
> > ### Only so called Techie students from CS use Linux. Student life is
> very
> > fast. They are need to do many task in time bound competing environment.
> > Extra effort to learn Linux and then use linux is major hurdle for Linux
> and
> > foss adaptation. a small fraction of students use Linux.
>
> *You* use GNU/Linux / FOSS when you don;t have time :) It simply doubles
> or triples your productivity in any area. :)

I know this, I live with Linux, We are talking for users or students and not
mine.

> > ### companies which are working in foss domain, should call for project
> > guidance for BE projects. By This way, students will start contributing
> in
> > foss projects.
>
> Good suggestion. On the other hand, how about colleges sponsoring FOSS
> Projects?

 We need  a good approach among college professors.

> > ### There should be separate courses for FOSS in syllabus itself
>
> :)
>
> > btw. In my company, only developer use to work in Linux,(redhat older
> > version). All other {except coder } use Windows. Still the communication
> is
> > on the *.doc* and *.xls* format which disappoint me very much. however
> there
> > is a LUG formation in company itself which will help in future for
> adopting
> > open standards.
>
> Well it's a pity that "normal" users are using windows. How about you
> initiating adoption of OO.o on windows and first eliminate that .doc
> and .xls? Should'nt be a big challenge?

I have already mailed a "Request to use Open File Formats" in general
mailing lists. I cannot do more then this. I am just 3 month old guy in this
company.

> > Thanks
> > Narendra Sisodiya
> > http://lug-iitd.org
>
> With regards,
> --
> --Dinesh Shah :-)
> Shah Micro System
> +91-98213-11906
> Blog-1: http://dineshah.wordpress.com/
> Blog-2 <http://dineshah.wordpress.com/Blog-2>:
> http://dineshah.blogspot.com/
> Alfred Hitchcock  - "Television has brought back murder into the home
> - where it belongs."

┌───[ Narendra Sisodiya ]──────────────┐
│     http://narendra.techfandu.orghttp://www.lug-iitd.org
└─new number ───[ +91-93121-66995 ]──────┘
  • [ilug... Amit Sharma
    • ... Sudev Barar
      • ... Dinesh Shah (દિન ેશ શાહ/द िनेश शाह)
        • ... narendra sisodiya
          • ... Shakthi Kannan
          • ... Dinesh Shah (દિન ેશ શાહ/द िनेश शाह)
            • ... narendra sisodiya
            • ... Prakhar Agarwal
              • ... narendra sisodiya
              • ... Shakthi Kannan