I could not agree with Prakhar more... :)

The points he has put up, are the things that we face in our colleges
everyday, we see it happening but still we cant do anything about it. Like
faculty using windoz, some of them do not even know what Linux is. They are
teaching students windoz softwares. They are still using the good-old DOS
based turbo c++ compiler (18 yrs old).

And its not that, we have not tried...we have recieved a lot of thrashing
because of this. (I mean a LOT). But it takes something to change the
system. We have done what was in our hands and will continue to do so in the
future. But in the end, you do need to follow the college course structure.
No matter, how deep you feel about FOSS or are contributing to it, you will
only get testing/maintaining jobs. Its not that, we do not deserve to be in
a thinking/product based job in which we are required to think and innovate
and not act like burden-donkeys, but the fact that we only have these
companies coming to our campuses. It is not our fault...that FOSS companies
do not come on our door. Talking about off-campus jobs...everyone knows what
happens there. Some 2500 people turn to give interviews for a vacancy of
just 10-20. And i have seen it, written test papers are not even corrected
fairly. Do you think, you can find some 10-20 deserving candidates out of
2500 in just 10 hours (max).

Can you tell me, that so many FOSS companies are here on this mailing list
but why you do not come to campuses?? Or why you do not take freshers (i may
be wrong here), but i have seen job openings in LFY...not a single opening
for freshers. Please tell me, where do we go (FOSS students) for gaining
some experience? Ultimately, even if we go to companies like tcs, infy etc.
we wont be getting any FOSS exposure there. Does that make me eligible for a
placement in a FOSS company? Just becuase, we have been promoting FOSS/Linux
in our colleges and have contributed something to FOSS and advocating and
fighting for it, make us good enough for your firm? Do we even have an
oppurtunity to realise our dreams?
--
Regards

Chirag Anand
4th Year, B.Tech
Computer Science Department, JUIT Solan

JUIT-LUG (Blog :http://techfreaks4u.com/blog)
Linux User: 476783

anything weird is worth a try...
  • [ilug... Amit Sharma
    • ... Sudev Barar
      • ... Dinesh Shah (દિન ેશ શાહ/द िनेश शाह)
        • ... narendra sisodiya
          • ... Shakthi Kannan
          • ... Dinesh Shah (દિન ેશ શાહ/द िनेश शाह)
            • ... narendra sisodiya
            • ... Prakhar Agarwal
              • ... narendra sisodiya
              • ... Shakthi Kannan