> 01. to monitor my net-use, i was told i have to register at
> the reliance site.
> when i registered, the web-engine asked for my name and
> data-card number,
> and then sent the password to my data-card number. there's
> no way i can check
> the data-card number for an sms. it's not a voice and data
> card. just
> a data card.

You can read the SMS using AT commands over minicom, if this device identifies
itself as a modem. Do you have its manufacturer/model information? What does
lsusb say?

I had done it with Sierra Wireless card long back - reading/sending SMS, making
call etc.

Just dig google more to find datasheet for this device mentioning AT command
sets.

regards,
Nishant

http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/