On Nov 19, 2005, at 20:22, Jeff Hubatka wrote:
On Nov 19, 2005, at 12:31 PM, iMac List wrote:
From: Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mail question
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:57:24 -0500

On Nov 19, 2005, at 10:17, Jeff Hubatka wrote:
[snip] Internet works, tested through my connection here either
direct or shared from my Powerbook. I have tried Mail, Entourage,
Thunderbird, and even Outlook Express in Classic mode, none of them
will pick up mail. Changed the server settings, spent an hour online
chatting with Earthlink, created a new user, created a new email
account, nothing.
Interesting thing is if I remove the HD and put it into a FW case, I
can start up my own iMac G4 from it, and retrieve the mail correctly.
Seems no matter what I do, it just won't work when it's in this older
G3 model.

If this is Earthlink DSL, it could be that they are blocking the POP
and/or IMAP ports.  Whenever I go to my parents' house (they have
Earthlink DSL), I have to tunnel IMAP over SSH in order to check my
mail.  Works fine at my house, where I have Earthlink Cable tho...

Open a Terminal window and try telnetting to the mail server's port 110 (for POP),143 (for IMAP), 995 (for POP-SSL), or 993 (for IMAP-SSL). If
you never get a connection, or if you get a connection refused, they
might be blocking the port.

Daniel

I have Earthlink DSL here, it works for all my computers. However, not the G3 iMac. And the odd thing to me is that if I hook up the 6GB drive from the G3 to the G4, then Mail works. So it seems resident in the computer hardware somewhere. As to the telnet, how do I perform that feat? What do I type in Terminal?

thanks for the help

That's an interesting problem - I can't explain why it would work on one computer and not on another, especially using exactly the same OS installation.

As for the commands you would run in Terminal, you would type:
        telnet mailserver 110
or      telnet mailserver 143
or      telnet mailserver 993
or      telnet mailserver 995
substituting your mail server for "mailserver."

Daniel