>> I'm not holding my
>> breath over these new Imacs, I guess I would have
>> liked to see a "kewler" version of the intel chip,
>> rather than an off the shelf version.
>
>I would have thought getting TWO processors for the price of one was
>"kewl," but evidently you have different criteria.

Not only did I also think that two procs would be "kewl", but I guess
the original poster doesn't realize that the iMac and MacBook are the
first computers shipping with the dual core Pentium M (the Yonah chip).

So wouldn't it then classify as a "'kewler' version of the intel chip"?!?

>As for the new
>iMacs, I hate to say this because I generally love what Apple do, but
>if you want to talk about "Rev. 1 hardware" rules this new machine is
>probably the archetype. I will be watching closely (but as a consumer
>and as a tech) to see what, if any, bugs shake loose.

This was my fear as well, Apple and rev 1 hardware doesn't seem to have
a fantastic record. But then the more I thought about it, the more I
realized that Apple is betting the farm on this switch. So they are
going to do everything possible to be sure the rev 1 hardware works as
it should. To have their rev 1 track record crop up in these machines
would send some serious doubts thru the computing world about Apple's
decision to make this switch.

So I went ahead and ordered the Intel iMac. I'm typing this email on it
right now. I have to say, so far I'm not the least bit disappointed in
it (from the Intel vs PPC side of things that is, I don't like the
remote mounting system as it keeps spitting my remote off the side of
the iMac, but I presume the same issue exists on the G5 version of this iMac).

I've only been using it for two days now, so it is too early to give any
real evaluation. Also, I'm stepping up from a 400 MHz G3 iMac, so
potential speed or other flaws may not appear to me simply because of my
base of comparison.

Now here's hoping I'm right on my assumption that Apple will strive to
be sure all bugs are squashed fast on this rev 1 product!

--

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>