> *smirk*  Today, I had coffee with a guy that works at a local Apple
> Store.  He said they've already got three new x86 iMacs DOA.  Their
> total DOA count for the last two years of PPC Macs is - zero.

I find that PPC count to be suspect. Just look at the Refurbs available
on Apple's site. Even my local CompUSA has had DOA PPC macs. DOA
happens, particularly when being shipped out of china, these things take
a beating in transit, and they are delicate peices of hardware.

> You bought AppleCare, right?

I wouldn't touch an LCD product from Apple without one, they don't have
a good track record (same with laptops from Apple)

> Keep good backups.

Always, that has nothing to do with using a new model machine. :-)

> >(from the Intel vs PPC side of things that is, I don't like the
> >remote mounting system as it keeps spitting my remote off the side of
> >the iMac, but I presume the same issue exists on the G5 version of
this iMac).
> Not sure what you're talking about here.  Elaborate, please?
> ....Probably a good idea to elaborate in a new thread, to address this
> specific problem.

The way the remote control for the iMac mounts to the side of the case.
It is held on by a magnet, and it is very tempermental about hitting the
"sweet spot" for the magnet to grab the remote. If you are just a hair
off, the magnet poles don't line up, and they repel each other, pushing
the remote off the side of the case.

Its just a design issue, and I'm sure the exact same design issue is
present on the G5 version of this iMac. So I don't hold this problem
against the Intel iMac, I just say it is a problem with the iSight iMac
design, regardless of if it is the PPC or Intel version.
-chris
<www.mythtech.net>