From: Donald Keenan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Is it true that almost all software will have to run via Rosetta?

If by "almost all" you mean percentage of the apps, that varies depending on how much third-party stuff you have, how willing you are to upgrade (90% of the updates so far have been free), and how much obsolete/undersupported stuff you're planning on holding on to.

The typical new Apple consumer, for example, will see very little use of Rosetta except perhaps on AOL or MS Office software, and those things should run at speeds that make Rosetta completely invisible to the user. All or almost all of Apple's bundled apps are native, as I understand it from Apple Sales Channel.

Some consumers, particularly those upgrading from other G5 machines and/or unwilling to stay current on their software, may become slightly aware that some of their apps run slower on the Intel iMacs than they did on their G5 hardware. This will improve as they update their software, and of course there's every possibility that Rosetta will become better/faster over time (as Classic did).

A few consumers will have some level of issues (either slow performance or outright breakage) of a handful of Pro-type apps for which a Universal binary is either coming slowly or not at all.

To reiterate: all or almost all of the bundled Mac apps that come with the Intel iMacs are native. A quick look at MacNN or other sources reveals that announcements of Universal-binary or native- updated programs are literally flooding the channel.

Most everything the average CONSUMER would use that is not already native will run under Rosetta with no (or barely any) noticeable drop in speed.

Certain PROFESSIONAL apps (most notably Photoshop, but I'm also thinking of Pro Video and Audio apps) will probably run poorly under Rosetta, and a few may not run at all (those that directly address hardware come to mind).

We saw some of this when Classic first came out, and when we moved from 680XX chips to PowerPC. It gets better over time in most cases, and there's no reason to doubt that here.

It's a transition. The road may get a little bumpy up ahead, but it's nothing compared to what Windows users will have to go through when MS finally grows a pair and revamps the OS completely.

Cheers
Chas