On Sep 7, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Malcolm O'Brien wrote:

> I'm starting to think that none of you were around when the expression
> was coined.
>
> "Ripped off" means: They took your money and gave you NOTHING (or
> something that appeared to be something valuable but which turned
> out to
> be worthless).
>
> "We're going into your pockets to give you something you neither want
> nor need" is "extortion".

"Here are the products we sell, buy them, don't buy them, it's up to
you" is called "commerce".

Yet again, we rational people are left explaining that the release of
a new version of the OS neither turns your old one into a pumpkin nor
means that Steve Job's hand-picked Apple Retail Ninjas will come to
your house and force you at katana point to buy the new version.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona