> I replaced the hard drive and put on OS 10.3.  I used another computer
> to do this, took the new drive and placed it back in the Imac.
> Started up and got the re-assuring "Bong".  It takes a while for the
> Apple logo to come on and then a spinning circle comes on.  All good
> so far but thats where it stops at.  The little circle just keeps
> spinning and nothing else.  Any ideas?  I know the OS and hard drive
> are ok.  I am assuming there is enough memory since it originally
> started in some type of OS X..  I went to Open Firmware successfully.
> Help

Besides all the other advice already given (which will all probably
work despite what I write here!), here is what happened to me on one
of my slot-loading iMacs.
Same problem with the "Bong" and the system just freezing with the
spinning circles.

1) Checked the memory and updated the firmware just as Elliott and
Malcolm suggested.
2) Memory was sufficient and it all tested fine.
3) Downloaded and created a testing liveCD for G3 iMacs called Finnix
(http://www.finnix.org/, PowerPC version)  just to see what other
problems the spinning circles might suggest.
3) Using the Finnix liveCD, I ran diagnostics on the hard drive
partitions to make certain that the installed hard disk was okay.
Turned out that the internal hard drive was defective and showed clear
signs of corruption.
4) I replaced the internal hard drive with a new hard drive, it
checked out okay using the above diagnostic test with Finnix, and I
was then able to use my clean install CDs to install Mac OS X 10.3
just fine!

Maybe this could help, or then again, maybe not.
Just given as an FYI.
coin