Recently I have been unable to import photos from my digital camera
(Canon PowerShot S80) to my iMac G5 running 10.4.6.  Formerly, the
process was automatic: When I connected the camera via its USB cable,
Canon's CameraWindow program would open and the camera screen would
soon show that it was ready to transfer the new (or all) photos
stored on the camera's SD card.  Now I have to open CameraWindow
manually from Applications, and after some delay it tells me "No
camera was found".

I called Canon's help line and tried a number of things suggested by
a very knowledgeable representative (he was not afraid of Macs!).
First he asked if I was using the genuine Canon USB cable with no
intervening hub -- yes, I was.  Next I demonstrated that iPhoto also
does not see the camera.  Then I tried to open Image Capture
manually; its icon bounced in the Dock for a while but all it did was
freeze the computer.

The rep then suggested I try another computer.  As soon as I
connected the camera to my wife's iMac Core 2 Duo (running 10.5.8),
iPhoto opened, offered to import photos from the camera, and did so
successfully.  When I closed iPhoto and opened Image Capture
manually, it also volunteered to import photos.

These tests convinced me and the Canon rep that nothing was wrong
with the camera, but there was a problem with the iMac G5.  He could
not help me further.

On my own I have tried the following: Removed recently-installed
third-party software on this iMac (specifically Perian, Flip4Mac,
DefaultFolder X); stopped Classic; closed every open application;
relaunched the Finder; and trashed the CameraWindow preferences --
all without effect.  Then I disconnected all external devices (every
USB cable except for the camera and the keyboard, all FireWire
cables, and even the Ethernet cable) -- no effect.

Short of re-installing Mac OS X, I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions?  Could my recent installation of Adobe's latest
version of Flash Player be relevant?

[Please, no comments about the perils of using an old version of Mac
OS X -- for almost three years, camera imports have been trouble-free
under this OS.]