On Nov 28, 2009, at 8:20 AM, Melvyn & Edith Halbert wrote:

> Recently I have been unable to import photos from my digital camera
> (Canon PowerShot S80) to my iMac G5 running 10.4.6.  Formerly, the
> process was automatic: When I connected the camera via its USB cable,
> Canon's CameraWindow program would open and the camera screen would
> soon show that it was ready to transfer the new (or all) photos
> stored on the camera's SD card.  Now I have to open CameraWindow
> manually from Applications, and after some delay it tells me "No
> camera was found".

Instead of direct uploading from the camera, have you tried to use a
USB media reader, which costs a few dollars?  As the long-time owner
of an iMac G5, and several digital cameras with different types of
media cards, I have always uploaded photos through USB media readers,
rather than draining batteries of the cameras.